Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cat house...

We’d been in Islamabad a few months when one morning we saw the following headline: “Cat House raided in posh Islamabad sector”.

A few days later, I went shopping for groceries to the out-of-bound Peshwar More market and on my way back hailed a cabbie. As I sat with my many shoppers (polythene bags) full of veggies, the youngish cabbie’s query had me shocked: “Aap to Cat House jayengee na?”

I decided to get off. As I was collecting my shoppers, he asked, “What happened?” I said “nothing”, wondering if the Urdu press too called a brothel “Cat House”.

The cabbie was insistent. “Aap ko woh Sector F-7 wale cat house jaana hai na?”

He knew my address too. I was furious. I knew we Indians looked different, but that different! I shuddered at what Bollywood had done to the locals. I decided to take my first panga in Pakistan. “What about that?” I challenged him.

“Aapko woh billiyon walle ghar hi jaana hai na?”

I heaved a sigh of relief. It turned out the cabbie had driven me home before and had met my cats in the driveway and decided to call our abode “Cat House”.

I laughed – glad that I had resisted the temptation to kick him. On my way home, we discussed cats and Bollywood – even though I was itching to ask him if he knew the Urdu equivalent of the real Cat House.

18 comments:

  1. you guys should know someone like shashi tharoor has tweeted abt you, get ready for lots of new readers.....actually u guys have written very well, wish u all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: IPL started today here in mumbai and there were 7 blast in lahore, how are ordinary Paki citizen taking this huge differences between our countries

    ReplyDelete
  3. @premal, aware of the tweet by Mr Tharoor. Owe him a big one. What happened in Lahore was truly sad, we have many good friends there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha the cat house...sometimes words make you so confused that you are forced to take rash decisions...thankfully in this case the truth behind words was revealed on time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Lamat, great blog ... really loved it hope u find ur maid, reconnect ur wapda bijli
    APK

    ReplyDelete
  6. A New Beginning, it was quite a scare :)

    Anonymous, thanks. Keep coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see you have avoided ans abt how the ordinary Pakistani citizen view thier country vis-a vis our's , would really like your input on this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from another Tharoor-directed reader... Ure blog is great! I love reading it and am going to look out for your inevitable book deal! :-)>

    As an Indian Muslim, I have always been curious about what daily life is like across the border.

    Best,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Premal, keep reading the blog and you'll get to know about the thinking of common Pakistanis on such matters :)

    Anonymous, 'Inshallah' on the book deal! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. woow you guys depict a very lucid picture of pakistan hope to read more ...

    thankx keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cat House is really a nice blog... you guys become more famous keeping nice cats at home. the day will come when city's all cats will come to your doorstep... I am thinking one day it will also be called "Cat house stAAp".... keep it up sharing your wonderful experiences in the land of pure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how is food different in pak ? and what type of food u miss ? when u in pak any special delicacy of u like ? sorry am big time foodie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ashu, thanks for reading. Will blog about Pakistani food soon...

    Hindibhashi, dhanyavaad!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to read your blog. We never knew much about our neighbour, normal Pakistani people, their nature etc. Though we know that they look like us and food habits also must be nearly like us, but coming from your point of view is interesting.

    I love cats and have written some posts about cats and kittens and I have got a feeling that I might be referred to as 'cat woman'. I never knew the other meaning till now! Should I say 'thanks' or 'no thanks'?!

    Anyways, thanks for a nice reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandhya, how nice :)
    Me not sure either about the "thanks" bit...

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha....had a gud laugh after long.....nice 1....yup even i got to knw u thru Shahi sir's tweets....;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Anand, thanks for visiting and reading. Spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am another of the Tharoor-directed readers. Your blog is a delight to read. Please keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete